Sunday, August 7, 2011

"It's My Heart" Ouchie Pouch Donation

Several months ago I was contacted by a very special woman named Chella, who asked me  to do a custom order for a friend of hers named Max. Max is a huge Star Wars fan, so Chella asked if I could make him two Ouchie Pouches in Star Wars themed fabric to help with some leg pains he is suffering. As she and I exchanged messages to set up the custom order, Chella shared with me a little bit about herself and Max and what brought them together. 


Max was born with a congenital heart defect called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. This amazing little boy underwent his first open heart surgery when he was three days old and received a heart transplant a few short months later. As a result of the anti-rejection medications he received after the surgery, he developed non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Max recently celebrated his seventh birthday, and from what Chella and his mom, Liz, tell me he is an active, happy and compassionate little man. Chella told me that for his most recent birthday, in lieu of gifts, he asked that his guests sign up to be organ donors instead. 


Max
Chella also had a son named Logan born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, that very sadly passed away at 13 months of age.  This was how she met Liz and Max many years ago. Even though they live in different countries, they have remained close friends over the years. Chella is a consumate survivor and an inspiration. She has lost three children. Logan's twin brother, Calum, hahydrocephalus and passed away eight months after Logan when his shunt malfunctioned. Chella also had a third son named Camlon who passed away shortly after birth from an Interuterine Growth Restriction (IUGR).   Chella herself was diagnosed with cancer in 2009 and needed a heart/kidney transplant in 2010 after the chemotherapy caused multi-organ failure.  


I have been very touched by both Max and Chella's stories and have learned a great deal I did not know about congenital heart defects through my exchanges with Chella.  I feel very blessed and fortunate to have two healthy little ones, so I was moved to do something to show these two extraordinary people that they made an impact on me. 







In honor of Chella and Max, I have decided to create a special "It's My Heart" Ouchie Pouch.  100% of the profits from the sale of this Ouchie Pouch during the month of August will be donated to charities of Chella and Max's choosing. In honor of Chella's babies, 50% of the proceeds will be donated to the Its My Heart organization, and in honor of Max and his family, 50% of the proceeds will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House Charities, which has provided an incredible amount of support to Max's family throughout the years. Please consider donating to these extremely worthwhile causes by purchasing an "It's My Heart" Ouchie Pouch from my Etsy shop in the month of August or by visiting their websites and donating directly.




If you would like to know more about Max and Chella... 


Max is well known in the world of congenital heart defects and you can read more about his story in the following articles:








2 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

What a wonderful cause! Popped in from SITS. It was so sweet of you to create something!

Cindy said...

cheap canvas prints | cheap canvas printing | photos on canvas | canvas prints I love the colors. This is really a good one for little kids. canvas prints, canvas printing , canvas prints Sydney , printing photos on canvas I am excited for this, it is really good for the eyes. That I will not be able to feel the pain in my eyes. Thanks.
canvas prints | canvas printing | photos to canvas | photos on canvas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...